Saturday, July 23, 2005

Pop Pop Pop Music

Do I write too much about my love for New York? It’s kinda like I have nothing else on my mind, doesn’t it? Well: NOT TRUE.
As a matter of fact I’ve been very busy doing some fun things over here in Holland. Mostly popconcerts. I saw Roisin Murphy in Paradiso Amsterdam beginning of this month. That was a very funny show. Roisin had some problems with her dress: it came off! She wasn’t too happy with that. You can see that show at http://www.fabchannel.com. Unfortunately they cut out the part with the dress… She made a great record with Matthew Herbert though: Ruby Blue. Just buy it.
A couple of days later my friend John O. and I were at the North Sea Jazz Festival. In three days I saw concerts of people like Cassandra Wilson, Roy Hargrove, Common, Chaka Khan, Matthew Herbert, Roisin Murphy (again, no dress performance this time), Al Green, Herbie Hancock, Leela James, Jaguar Wright, Ian Siegal, John Zorn, Lizz Wright, Dianne Reeves… That was pretty exciting.
Last week I went to see U2 in concert. All my respect to these guys. And this week I saw Madness playing at The Melkweg in Amsterdam, although that was a bit disappointing to be honest. They just refused to be Madness. Just played cover versions of the songs from their youth. Only two Madness hits. The crowd was very angry about that, and I couldn’t blame them. I got in for free, but I would be pissed would I have paid 30 euro to see this.
Anyway: August 18th my all time rock ‘n’ roll queen will be here: Patti Smith! And right after that I’ll be at the Lowland’s Festival (with Nick Cave!!)
I must say I’m enjoying my last tricks being a pop journalist. As from October I’ll have a new career being a city hall reporter. Do I forget September? Not really. Uh… I’ll be in New York again…

No comments: