Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sunday Morning

It is still to be decided: Dutch or English? The recent referendum on this issue has not yes had the response I had hoped for. Meanwhile it has come to my attention that our trusty reader from Wilmington (UK) has moved to Amsterdam and that his knowledge of the Dutch language is already at children’s book’s level…

But let us start this Sunday with a fact of the day, shall we?
Today it is 121 years ago that the Statue of Liberty (or better: La liberté éclairant le monde or Liberty Enlightening the World) was dedicated in the harbor of New York City. Lady Liberty is een creation of Frédéric Bartholdi. Gustave Eiffel (of the Eiffel Tower) designed the inner construction that holds some 300 massive copper plates that together form the Lady. It is true: Lady Liberty is in fact a jigsaw puzzle. Living in 2007 it is not too hard to see the unmeant symbolism in that, is it?

I woke up very early this morning. That has to have something to do with the ending of Daylight Saving Time or Summer Time last night at 3. Going back to Winter Time should mean an hour of sleep more since the clock is set back, but for some reason I always seem to lose at least two hours. I mean, I woke up at seven witch would have been 8 only yesterday, while I really won’t open my eyes before 9 at any given Sunday.

Still, it is going to be a real Sunday’s Sunday, that much is clear. It’s 10.30 now and I have already:
- Vacuumed the living room
- Done my laundry
- Read the paper
- AND HAD A MORNING WALK ALONG THE SPAARNE RIVER!!
It is true! Although I must add that my walk wasn’t without all purposes. Next month I will continue my series for the paper about the Spaarne River and I had to do some field work.

How will this Sunday proceed? Well, as soon a I have finished this blog entrée I will make coffee, listen to the second hour of a radio program called ‘OVT’ about historical facts, watch the political TV-show ‘Buitenhof’, listen to the soccer reports on the radio, make myself a typical Dutch ‘hodgepodge’ (with potatoes, carrots, unions and beef). In between I will phone my father in the hospital (he’s doing pretty good by the way, we hope to have him home by Wednesday).
This Sunday will at least last till 7.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Richard, Wilmington calling! So you're really serius about ging Dutch? (I'm starting to grasp the true meanig of this more and more since we moved over here.) I'd say: do. It'll help to improve my Dutch (and yours as well probably) which is now on the level of: Hee broer waar zit de smartshop? while there's no great English literature lost (idom wise) if you decide to pull it through. So aye, one in favor!
Cheers mate.