Monday, July 16, 2007

54th

Today is my parents' 54th wedding anniversary. That’s right, there 54th...
It’s getting more difficult to get them a nice present for this day every year. Last year I had this pretty brilliant idea of giving them a tour in Haarlem’s ancient city hall, where they once married. I couldn’t do wrong for months!
It had to be something with a bit of a nostalgic twist again, so much was clear. So my brother and sister and I came up with the idea to just take ‘m out for a fancy but nice dinner in Stempels, which is situated in the 18th century’s former Royal printing-office of Joh. Enschedé and sons. They used to print bank notes here. And, between 1737 and 1940, the paper that I work for!
The nostalgic part was more about being with just the five of us though. No spouces, no girlfriend and no further offspring - just the happily married couple and their three kids.
We took them yesterday. I believe they liked it very much. And the food was really nice.
The only thing that was bothering me: it was so damn hot yesterday, with on top of that very high humidity. And that is just the kind of weather that kills me. I hope I wasn’t too bad company.
After we kissed and hugged goodbye I thought I’d cool down a little with a cold beer in Koops. But the sidewalk café was crowded and inside was like an oven. So I went home and poured myself a nice refreshing class of rose and sat down on my balcony gazing at a lonely star in the sky and some planes going by. And that was pretty near to perfection. There was even a little breeze!


No comments: