Wednesday, June 20, 2007

'Sparendam'

While in Spaarndam – on the northeast side of Haarlem – on a sunny Sunday a couple weeks ago I came across a local painter named Remco Haantjens. He was working. The picturesque village center around the ‘Kolk’ provided him a perfect scenery for a new painting. And with his jaunty black hat and coat, his neatly trimmed grey little beard and long blue woolen shawl he fitted in so perfectly, that I asked him if could take some pictures of him. He agreed, and asked me in return if I could send him some of them afterwards. Well, okay!
Back home, when I was looking on his website for an email address, I not only saw his work, but found out a little bit more about who he was as well. I learned for example that despite his very Dutch name he was born and raised in Bolivia.
I mailed him a few of my pictures, and he replied wih a big 'thank you!'. He also promised me to send me a picture of the Spaarndam painting back as soon as he had finished it.

The next day already I got the promised picture.
Now, apart from the fact that this is not the kind of painting that I would hang above my couch, there is something intriguing about it. It had me puzzled to be honest. It is the title: Sparendam. (See left bottom corner)
According to his other work he must live in Haarlem or nearby for quite some years now – I mean, he is no stranger. And his style of painting requires a sharp eye for details. Then why miss-spelling the name of the village after you spend an entire Sunday painting its scenery?

Btw: One of the pictures I send him is on his website now

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi... it wasn't very long ago when Spaarndam was called Sparendam, after the dams and sluces in the river 't Sparen. Maybe the nostalgic typical Dutch view on the Kolk in Spaardam inspired the artist to use the ancient name?

Richard said...

Come to think of it: that must be it. Thanx!